Thursday, July 16, 2009

Roasted Chicken and Ned and Melissa

See? Dinky can behave sometimes.

Ned and Melissa are on something of a break, having sent their children packing to Camp Grandparents for the week. We booked this night a couple of weeks ago or more, and had them come over straight after work - their office is right down the street from us.

So what do you do when you have to work all day, fit in three workouts, desperately need to run the vacuum, then discover that you also need to clean up the catalogue your dog shredded in the bedroom before company crosses the threshold at 5:00? You roast chickens, that's what. And you look at your pantry staples and your farmer's market veggies and say "what can I toss together out of this?" So here's what I came up with:

Roasted Chicken
White Bean Salad with Rosemary Garlic dressing
Stone Ground Grits
Whole Wheat Pita

Hopefully it wasn't too much of a hodge-podge menu, but I thought it was good. Of course, that could have been the Prosecco talking.

The chickens are pretty self-explanatory. I pulled a couple of whole chickens out of the freezer, thawed them, salted and peppered them, stuffed an onion and a sprig of rosemary up their hinders, and put them on a baking sheet on the grill. Ten minutes prep time. Then the nice part - put it on the grill and forget about it for about 45 minutes.

For the White Bean Salad, I drained and rinsed two cans of white beans, added about a cup of diced tomato, 1/4 cup of chopped Kalamata olives, sauteed 2 minced cloves of garlic with about 2 tsp. of chopped rosemary, then added that to a dressing of the juice of 1/2 lemon, generous pinch of salt, 1 tsp. of dijon mustard, and 1/4 cup olive oil. Then I tossed the whole thing and let it sit while we visited. That whole process took me another 10 minutes.There's not a bunch of it left, so I'm going to assume it was well-received.

At this point, with getting things out of the freezer, prepping and tossing, I'd spent all of half an hour getting dinner ready. Rock!

Melissa and I picked on the chickens when they came off the grill. That's just the best. I served the whole thing family style and everyone seemed to enjoy it. We ate inside because the cushions are still damp. We left them out after our dinner with Heather and Walt the other night and it rained in the middle of the night. Whoops. We also hadn't sprayed for mosquitoes, so figured we'd be more comfortable in the house.

Now we go on an in-house entertaining hiatus for a couple of weeks. We begin the office redo tomorrow, and most of our office will be strewn across the house, so it's not really conducive to entertaining. Feeding ourselves will be kind of a challenge as well, since both of us get kind of obsessive about stuff like this and we'll be spending a lot of our time scraping and painting. We may be eating a lot of black bean and turkey burgers in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

It was FABULOUS as usual! The skin on that chicken was so crispy and yummy - absolutely perfect (especially when pulled off the carcass with your fingers while standing in the kitchen, hoping the boys don't discover what you are doing and decide to join you...).