Thursday, February 26, 2009
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Yesterday was a busy day. A little cleaning, grocery shopping, an afternoon kayak trip with Robert on the Cape Fear River, and then Christina and Dan were coming over for dinner.
We maximized our time on the water, of course, then there's the cleaning up and putting away of gear, AND the fact that I hadn't quiiiite finished cleaning the kitchen before we tore out the door to get on the water. So I needed something a little on the simple side to put together for dinner, but still wanted it to be fit for company. Not just company, but first-time company. This was their first experience at Cafe 305.
So I opted for
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
OK first of all, my apologies to my two readers who have been ripping me because I'm being terribly inconsistent with my blog. We've had a string of recent events that have impeded my ability to blog. I shall now list my excuses for you so that you get your money's worth from this entry.
- My laptop crashed and I had to ship it off to be fixed.
- I started (and finished) a project to scan all of our hard-copy photos so that we have digital copies of them all.
- My laptop was returned and I had to transfer everything back over to it, including my MasterCook information, which still is all ganked up. Don't get me started.
- I do have a job and have been trying to work against some deadlines.
- I got the "Twilight" collection for Christmas and have totally been sucked into spending my free time reading about teenage vampires. I can't help myself. So sue me. I read grownup books too sometimes.
- We donated our sailboat and have been getting it ready to truck to FL. OK! OK! I really haven't had much to do with that, but Phillip has been, and it's cut into my cooking time. Sort of. All right, fine. Strike that one.
- Most importantly, I have been going through one of my uninspired periods, where my cooking is lackluster and unimaginative. It happens sometimes. I really didn't figure you wanted to see multiple entries on "homemade pizza" or "burgers" or repeats of other stuff I've already made. Where's the fun in that?
But back to the evening at hand. Marc and Sara, as I've mentioned, own a restaurant. One of my favorites, actually. Valentine's Day for them is just hard work. So I thought I'd make them dinner here to celebrate on their night off. I had big plans. Huge! I was going to do duck breast in blackberry conac sauce, coconut black rice, etc. etc. Unfortunately, the other ten thousand people who descended on Fresh Market over the Valentine's Day weekend had the same idea, and they only had one duck breast. It probably would have been stretching it to feed the four of us. It was cold outside, and I opted for a cozy, homey evening instead. So I went with:
Rosti Potato Pancakes with sharp cheddar and prosciutto (where's the umlaut on this thing?)
Mixed Greens with Honey-Lime Vinaigrette, Strawberries and Fried Goat Cheese
Spicy White Bean and Chicken Soup with Chorizo (graciously provided by Marc and Sara a while back - man that stuff is good!)
Chocolate-filled Ebelskivers with Caramel and Chocolate Ice Cream (yes, again. I wish my uncle could see how much mileage I'm getting out of his Christmas present to us.)Marc seemed to have a hard time with the heat in the soup, so let that temper your wild enthusiasm for the menu. He asked Phillip what they'd done to make me so mad that I'd serve them really spicy soup. I didn't think it was that hot, and I'm a heat sissy, but I think Marc didn't like the chipotle quite so much. He did seem to like the cheddar biscuits. Sara liked it all. (What a good girl!)
They did like the Ebelskivers. Yes, if you haven't been to my house yet for dinner, you will probably get them too!
Thursday, February 5, 2009
He also said he liked the roasted broccoli. Phillip was far less enthusiastic. I think he groaned and left it on his plate. I probably shouldn't do that to him. I never have to eat English Peas anymore...(These are homemade rolls.)
Monday, February 2, 2009
They spent some time jumping too.
Fried Chicken Thighs
Mac and Cheese (that's it before baking)
Ice Cream Sundaes